Thursday, March 24, 2016

I completely remixed the paint, changing my palette, and repainted the skin tones. And gave myself a smirk in the process accidentally. Too much highlight on the upper lip...I will change that! I used, on the advise of David Gray's blog, a combination of raw umber and yellow ochre. And I used warm white and venetian red as an alternate to his recommendation of terra rosa, which I could not find. Then I fearlessly laid down some highlights and shadows to see if I like the combinations and used a more painterly effect with more brush strokes and less blending. The light is still not right, but I like the improvement in the flesh tones. As I do this exercise I am being reminded of the Shakespearean quote my mom would tell me...TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE...so while being inspired by other artists, we must remember to be ourselves when we create. There is only one you, after all! Now, go and PAINT SOMETHING!  :  )

No comments:

Post a Comment